This year due to having a wonderful new greenhouse and having such lovely growing weather I have a glut of cucumbers , courgettes and other vegetables perfect for making into pickles and chutney .. Just a few recipes to help you use them up before you have had enough of them.
I am not sure where this recipe comes from but it is easy to make and should be ready to eat in two days.
500g /1lb cucumbers sliced half an inch thick.
2 tbs salt
375g/12oz onions sliced into thin rings
4 garlic cloves sliced
1tsp black peppercorns
3 – 4 bay leaves
750ml/1 and quarter pints water
350ml /12fl oz white wine vinegar
4 tbsp. sugar
1 – 2 dried chillies
1. Put the sliced cucumber in a colander and sprinkle with half the salt .Mix well and leave to stand for about 20 minutes.Rinse them under cold water and drain well.
2.Put the onion rings in a bowl and pour over boiling water to cover ,then drain well.
3. Arrange a layer of sliced cucumbers in the bottom of a hot sterilised jar .Place a few slivers of garlic , a few peppercorns and a bay leaf on top and cover with a layer of onion .
4. Repeat until all vegetables are used up .The jar should be almost filled but loosely packed.
5. Put the water ,white wine vinegar dried chillies, sugar and remaining salt in a non corrosive pan .Bring to the boil steadily for a few minutes .Skim well and remove the chillies.
6. Pour the hot vinegar mixture into the jar , filling it right to the top making sure the cucumbers are totally covered. Poke the vegetables with a wooden skewer to make sure there are no air pockets. Then seal the jar and keep refrigerated . Shelf life 3 months refrigerated . Yield 2lb.
Olive Oil Pickle
This is an American recipe that is mildly sour ,refreshing and keeps really well . You can replace the cucumbers with thinly sliced colourful peppers or carrots.
750g/1 and a half lb pickling cucumbers sliced a quarter-inch thick.
625g / 1 lb onions
500ml /17fl oz cider vinegar
1tbsp dill seeds
1tbsp celery seeds
1tbsp mustard seeds
75ml / 2 and a half fl oz good fruity virgin olive oil
1 . Put the sliced cucumbers and onions into a glass bowl , cover with cold water and add the salt.
Mix well until the salt has dissolved and then weight down the vegetables and leave over night .
2. The next day drain the vegetables .Rinse under cold running water , then drain again squeezing out as much liquid as possible . Pack into the hot sterilised jars.
3. Put the vinegar ,water, herbs, and spices into a non corrosive saucepan .Bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes . Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly, then whisk in the oil.
4. Pour the vinegar into the jars ,check the vegetables are evenly distributed and the vegetables are covered, then seal . The pickle will be ready to eat in tow weeks but improves with keeping . Shelf life 1 year .Yield about 3 lb.