Pasta is the perfect foundation for a healthy, delicious and satisfying meal. As an ideal “delivery system” for other nutritious foods, pasta meals can easily become nutritional all-stars. (Be sure to keep an eye on portion sizes to keep calories at bay. A one-cup serving of cooked pasta is roughly the size of your fist).
Pasta is an ideal partner for other nutritious foods that are essential to a healthy diet. It’s great to pair with fibre -filled vegetables and beans, heart healthy fish and oils, rich tomato sauce and protein-packed, poultry and lean meats.
Tagliatelle with chicken and sage.
serves 4 .
400g / 14oz Tagliatelle
2 shallots finely chopped.
knob of butter
325g/11oz chicken breast ,cut into strips
1 garlic clove (optional)
8 sage leaves shredded
4 tbsp. medium white wine
salt & pepper
freshly grated parmesan to serve.
- Cook and drain the pasta according to the packet instructions, reserving half cup of the cooking water.
- meanwhile, fry the shallots in the butter until transparent ,add the chicken and fry until golden on the outside and just cooked through, but do not overcook. Add the garlic (if used) and sage for the final 2 minutes of cooking .Pour in the wine and bubble for a couple of minutes .Season.
- Toss the chicken mixture with the pasta and enough of the reserved to moisten.
- Serve with plenty of parmesan.
Pasta with melting onion sauce.
150g / 5oz pasta.
675g / 1 and a half lb onions very thinly sliced.
3 garlic cloves finely sliced.
1 bay leaf and 1 small sprig rosemary.
3 tbsp olive oil.
115ml / 4fl oz white wine
2 – 3 tbsp chopped parsley
150g / 5 oz parmesan.
- Put the onions garlic , bay leaf and rosemary into a large heavy frying pan with the oil and sprinkle with salt. Cook gently for 10 minutes then cover the onions closely with a circle of greaseproof paper and cook over a low heat until the onions turn a rich golden brown.
- Stir in the wine and cook briskly , stirring , until the wine has evaporated. Discard the bay leaf and rosemary .Add black pepper and the parsley.
- Meanwhile , cook and drain the pasta . Toss with the onions and most of the parmesan . Serve with the remaining parmesan sprinkled over.
Pasta with roast aubergines , peppers & basil.
2 Aubergines weighing 500g/ 1lb
2 plump red peppers
5 garlic cloves in their skins
6 tbsp. virgin olive oil
20 pitted black olives chopped
balsamic vinegar to taste
small handful of basil leaves
grated parmesan to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f / gas 6
- Prick the aubergines in several places and cook in a preheated oven for 20 – 30 minutes, turning once , until softened , wrinkled and lightly charred. At the same time cook the peppers in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until lightly charred and soft, and the garlic until softened.
- Peel the peppers and cut into slices. Pop the garlic cloves from their skins into a bowl and mash with the oil. Transfer to a frying pan.
- When the aubergines are cool enough to handle , peel off the skin and chop the flesh . Add to the frying pan , with the red peppers and olives. Season with salt , pepper and balsamic vinegar , and warm gently.
- Meanwhile , cook and drain the pasta according to packet instructions . Toss with the vegetables and basil . Serve with freshly grated parmesan.